Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What is in a name?

Steph had this on her blog and I thought it was fun. I was a little disappointed, however. My new names aren't too cool..bah!


My rock star name (first pet and current car):
Tanna Venture

My gangsta name (favorite candy bar and favorite cookie):
Butterfinger (sounds better "Butta- finger") Chocolate Chip

My detective name (favorite color and favorite animal):
Green Dog

My Star Wars name (first three letters of last name and first two letters of first name then the word "of" then a medication you are on):
Appli-of-Nothing

My superhero name (2nd favorite color and favorite drink with "The" in front):
The Red Barq's

My Nascar name (first names of your grandfathers):
Monte Gilbert

My "lover" name (name of your favorite perfume/cologne and your favorite candy):
Lucky PB M&Ms

Witness-protection name (mother's and father's middle names):
Jo Reed

Josiah Christian Applegate: One of Kit's zone leaders on his mission was named Josiah. He was very inspirational and a strong, spiritual missionary. On my mother's side, my great-great grandfather was also named Josiah and was known for being an upright, honest man. King Josiah was a boy king who chose to put the Lord first. We wanted our son to have a name full of spiritual strength. Christian is Kit's given name. It is tradition in his family to give the first born son the name of his father as his middle name (ie, Christian Michael). I love the tradition and I think Josiah's name is beautiful!
Gavin Reed Applegate: Kit and I chose Gavin's name together very quickly. We had his name picked out before we were even expecting. We simply liked the name Gavin. When we chose it, it wasn't as common (or so we thought) as it is today. Reed is my father's name. Another example of spiritual strength for our sons to rely on. My father is a wonderful man in my eyes and I want my sons to grow to have his strengths.
Gunnison Michael Applegate: Again, we chose Gunnison's name before we knew we were pregnant. We had been reading a baby book and stumbled across his name and knew it fit our next son. It is a long name for a little boy, but again, the name is full of strength. Michael is my father-in-law's name. He is yet another spiritual giant I want my sons to emulate. I want my boys to see their names and understand the wealth of respect and love Kit and I have for these men. These men have their faults, but their greatness supersedes them. I want them to respect their name-sakes and live up to the names chosen for them. I want them to grow beyond their faults and live up to their potential, spiritual greatness. I love you, my three strong spirited boys!!!

6 comments:

Coty said...

I love this post Liberty, very sweet. Boys need 'spiritual warrior' names to live up to huh?
I honestly think it makes the biggest difference EVER! ~love it, love it.

Mamapierce said...

I've never heard the name Gunnison before - but I just love it! Your boys certainly have several spiritual men to look up to - but don't forget their spiritual, talented, beautiful mama...you're an inspiration to me. :o)

Anonymous said...

I love the way you posted this. You always do such a great job expressing your thoughts. I should just say...go to lib's blog, she says it much better than me. :) I love what you said about your boys, I was trying to say that on mine...oh well. :) I love your boys and their beautiful names...and your funny names ARE funny. I tweaked my names a little. For my "lover" name I really should have been Ralph JellyBelly...doesn't sound too sexy, does it. :)

Andrea said...

This is the kind of things that make me love your blog so much! I love your boy's names and I think it is such a wonderful heritage to carry on the names of their grandpa's/dad! Their names are unique, yet "traditional". I love it. Oh and I love your new names especially the race car name really does sound like a race car driver. I wouldn't even dare post mine. I was saying as I read yours and trust me, mine is much more boring.

whitney said...

Love your boys' names-seriously. Josiah is one of my very favorite names EVER. I loved your silly names too. I'll have to keep it in mind for one of my future posts. That's how good it was-it's good enough to steal;)

whitney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.