Thursday, September 8, 2011

Checked Out for the Summer

(downloaded from google images)

Whew! This has been one crazy summer...family visiting, driving over 36 hours to South Dakota for a fam reunion...then the return trip, another road trip to Okie for my little brother's wedding to the darling Miss Hannah and finally the start of school for all three of my boys. Sheesh! If only the road trips made me shed weight instead of gain it. I'd be one skinny babe if the hours spent in the car battling barf, headaches, name-calling, shoving, malfunctioning electronics, dirty diapers, missing shoes, decoding T0m-Tom directions, and shouting at the beasties made up for the pb m&ms, triscuits, Twizzlers and milk duds shoveled into my mouth on a regular basis.

8 comments:

whitney said...

Isn't that the truth! If only I lost pounds from the stress of it all instead of gained it :P

Mamapierce said...

Your summer sounds super busy! I'm glad you were able to see so much of your family. How wonderful. :)

Anonymous said...

Ha!! Isn't that the truth!! I'd be thin and babe-a-lishious! Tis' not so. We DID have a crazy, going, going, going summer. It was fun seeing you and your little kiddies. Hats off to you for your marathon travels sans Kit. I don't know if I have the sanity or your nerves of steel. I think I would have ran off the road in pure insanity or did the same while trying to reach my kids in the back to throttle them. Glad you're back safe and sound and hopefully you'll get some R&R while (3!!) of your kids are at school!!

holyoak said...

You didn't mention your toned up arms from pounding fence posts in drought baked Oklahoma red earth! Nor how your sons lived up to Applegate / Holyoak work standards by working their little hind ends off whacking weeds and brush. Now that's a vacation!!

Annie said...

That's a rough summer! I know how hard it is on those road trips. Did you master throwing snacks back to them while driving??

Ah, the sacrifices we make for family. Hopefully it was worth the time and energy.

Charee B Mcclellan said...

you are a hoot and i love you so!

Jenny said...

I was starting to wonder if you'd fallen into the ocean or something! Glad to hear you all survived some long car rides... Jeff and I constantly wonder how people drive more than 2 hours with little kids. Ours can barely make it to Logan!

Aubrey said...

I would also be one skinny chick. Driving to Idaho and back, plus all the driving I do on a daily basis taking kids to therapy and preschool and so forth. If only I could control my sugar tooth. Sigh. (Oh and burn calories while sitting in a car).