Sunday, March 6, 2011

Granddad Says...

For the past couple of weeks, we have had the presence of my father in our home...well, at least in word. It all started with Gunnison coming down for breakfast one morning. He was quick to tell me what he wanted to eat because according to him, Granddad was coming to pick him up later that day and they were going on a trip together to the mountains. He needed to eat, because Granddad wanted him to have energy. He needed to brush his teeth, because Granddad wouldn't like stinky breath or dirty teeth. He quickly got dressed because he knew Granddad couldn't take him to the mountains in his pajamas (he took them completely off that day, not even letting them lurk under his pants). He wasn't playing; Gunner was serious. He kept watching, waiting. He was finally distracted by us going to playgroup and then the library. He went to bed that night and my heart hurt a little that he wasn't able to take his trip with my dad.

But then, the next day, Granddad came to stay. Everything Gunnison said dealt with Granddad. Granddad wouldn't let him wear his striped shirt, only the "B" for Bear shirt. Granddad wouldn't let him sit in the black and grey car seat, just the red and black one. Grandad said Gunner didn't need to eat carrots at dinner and of course Granddad would let Gun eat some candy before bed. Granddad helps choose which chores Gunnison does throughout the day and he is always going to reprimand Josiah and Gavin for their wrongs against Gunner.

My mom wasn't sure Gunner remembered exactly who his granddad was. Hmmm, maybe "Granddad" was just a name for an idea in Gun's mind. Nope. I found a few photos of my dad and watched Gunner point him out with a grin. His champion was there in picture for him to admire. So, while I gnash my teeth (just a bit) at how Granddad would never shout for Gunner to "just obey", or when Granddad is determined to let Gunner play with my cell phone, I think of my son's smile at his granddad's face in the photo and the ways his face lights up when I read one of the emails my dad has sent the boys and I am thankful he is visiting our home. Even if it is in word only.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

That is so cute! I love how my kids just love their grandpas. Very special. And who knows, maybe you can use grandad to your advantage during one of those moments when your kids are acting up.

Aubrey said...

That just warms your heart and breaks it all at once. He must be some amazing Granddad.

whitney said...

Ahhh, how sweet is that?! That makes me want to cry, in both a good and sad way. I love how he's a part of the daily grind, even 2,000+ miles away. Granddad definitely is a very special guy, especially when he's letting Gun play with Mom's cell phone ;)

Mamapierce said...

What a special post. Thanks for sharing. :D

holyoak said...

Funny, I don't recall granting permission to play with the cell phone, but I am sure I approved the candy munching; better yet - icecream before teeth brushing each night... ; )
One thing I know, Granddad and Papa love our three young righteous musketeers with every fiber of our beings. If we could be there for the mountain hike, the walk in the park and the icecream we would be! All for righteousness and righteousness for all! Sure do love all of you - from the squirrel king and queen to the nutty mom ; )

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I finally have a keyboard, power AND internet!! Horray, horray, horray!!!!! Happy day!!
Ahhh, now for the comment... ;)
What a sweet post. I adored it. I can't remember who above said that it made you want to smile and cry all at the same time...it's so true! I'm glad that little Gun-Gun has such a clear memory of Grandad that he can be "present", even if it's just through thought. I love how Dad is always on Gunner side and is willing to stand by him no matter what his whim. Very smart boy. :) I love you guys! Give little Gunner a kiss from me!!